March 8th is International Women’s Day! We would like to look at some recent developments of women in the workplace (our own head office consists of 75% female employees, including top leadership positions)! While there are many more strides to be made – it’s great to see gender equality taking shape over time:
- women were 47.3% of the total labour force in 2016 (compared to 37.1% in 1976) [Source]
- between 1976 and 2007 employment for mothers with children under 6 years old more than doubled from 31.5% to 68.1% [Source]
- by 2012, college attendance went up to 71% for women (while staying stagnant at 61% for men) [Source]
- Women in executive roles earn 72.3% of what men in the same position earn [Source]
- 15.6% of SMBs are majority owned by women, and 19.7% are equally owned by women and men [Source]
- in 2015, Prime Minister Trudeau named 15 women and 15 men to his cabinet, marking the first ever gender-balanced cabinet in Canadian history! [Source]
These are just some of the stats that show the progress we’re making in having equality at the workplace. While not perfect it does show change towards the positive! If you’re looking for more resources, tools and articles on the gender gap in the workplace check out World Economic Forum’s Women & Work section.
Did you know that January 31st of each year is Inspire Your Heart With Art Day? Regardless if you’re an art connoisseur, hobby painter or just a doodler, art has had some influence in all of our lives. Since ancient time art has been regarded as a significant influence in reflection upon inner selves:
We hope you take some time on this day to appreciate art and what it truly means to us as a creative outlet. Here are some ways we encourage you to fill up your heart with art:
- visit an art gallery or exhibit
- start your own masterpiece
- We’ve put together some tips on how to do so:
- add an adult colouring book as a creative outlet (offers plenty of benefits)
- connect with local artists and creative community
We hope you get your fill this national #InspireYourHeartWithArtDay! Feel free to share this day with colleagues, friends and family!
In our digital lives, we’ve forgotten the value of hard Copies. But who among us hasn’t experienced a computer crash, hard drive mishap or lost email?
All of these things make your digital records vulnerable and highlight the importance of the paper copy. Concerned? Read on.
These days, it’s common for employees, clients and distributors to sign electronic contracts. If you aren’t backing these up with hard copies, you could be on a road toward a setback. If your email is compromised — through hacking or crashing or an accidental ‘delete’ — you could find yourself in a real pickle. Imagine renegotiating all of the contracts with your employees or suppliers? Yeah, it’s not a pretty thought. Print hard copies and store them securely.
Private information — like social insurance numbers or client details — is ripe fruit for hackers. Keep the information you hold dear safe, by keeping it on paper.
Prevent a catastrophic crash.
We’ve all experienced the 9th inning computer crash. It’s that moment when the presentation is set to begin, and you plug in your computer… and nothing shows up. If you don’t have your presentation in hard copy, you’re in trouble. Repeat after us: print, print and print again.